If you’re losing your hair, you’re not the only one. Alopecia is a common problem that affects people of all ages, both men and women. Did you know that hair loss is one of the most common problems men and women face all over the world?
In fact, the World Health Organization says that by the time a man is 50 years old, about half of them will have lost some hair. Not as many people know that 40% of women also lose their hair at some point in their lives.
Baldness is often linked to old age, but it can happen to anyone at any age. Many things can cause hair loss, but today we’ll talk about alopecia, what causes it, and how it might be treated.
What makes people lose their hair?
Alopecia can be caused by a number of things, such as genetics, stress, hormonal changes, medical conditions, autoimmune diseases, or it can just be a normal part of getting older. Some medicines and hair products can also lead to alopecia.
If you are losing your hair, you should see a doctor make sure you don’t have any other health problems.
- Hormonal Changes – To explain why hormonal changes can cause alopecia, we must first explain what DHT is. Dihydrotestosterone, also called DHT, comes from testosterone, which is a hormone that is more common in men. When DHT attacks hair follicles, the hair follicles get weaker, which causes hair to fall out.
- Stress – Stress is a general term for a wide range of things that can cause a lot of trouble in your daily life, such as a change in your medications, a physical injury, a lack of nutrients, or a big change in your life. Most of the time, these things cause more stress, which is bad for hair growth.
- Autoimmune Diseases – Autoimmune diseases are another common reason why people lose their hair. In an autoimmune disease, the immune system attacks the body’s own cells by accident. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease that causes the scalp to lose hair in patches.
- Medical Conditions – Hair loss can be caused by many different medical conditions. Some of these are thyroid problems, anemia, lupus, and diabetes, but this list is not complete.
Natural Causes – Last but not least, hair loss is a natural part of getting older. Even though there are ways to stop it, hair loss is a very normal and common thing that happens to a lot of people.
Balding vs. Alopecia
Despite what most people think, alopecia and going bald are not the same thing. Alopecia is a type of hair loss that happens all of a sudden, while balding happens over time. Balding usually happens to older men, and it often causes them to lose all of their hair.
Alopecia can happen to people of any age, and it doesn’t always cause them to lose all of their hair. Alopecia is a general term for hair loss, while male pattern baldness is something that only happens to people who were born male.
Male pattern baldness also happens in predictable ways, which is how it got its name. On the Norwood Scale, you can compare these patterns to find out what stage of male pattern baldness a person may be in. Most of the time, male pattern baldness is easier to treat and stop if it is caught early.
Different ways to treat hair loss
What kinds of treatments can be used for hair loss? Hair loss can be treated in a number of different ways. Male pattern baldness is usually treated with hair restoration surgery, which is the most common treatment.
During this surgery, hair is moved from one part of the scalp to another. There are also ways to get hair back that don’t involve surgery. Both of these methods are what Bergen County Hair Loss Hair does best.
- Surgical treatments – These include F.U.E. or F.U.T. hair transplants, in which a doctor takes grafts of hair from the back of the head and moves them to balding spots on the scalp to make new hair grow.
- Non-surgical treatments – include platelet-rich plasma (PRP), laser cap therapy, and prescription drugs.
At Bergen County Hair Loss, treatment plans are made just for each patient, and they can be decided after a consultation in person or online.
Most of the time, non-surgical options are cheaper than surgical ones, but hair transplant procedures usually give better results. Even though a hair transplant can be pricey, you should think of it as an investment in yourself for the long term. Bergen County Hair Loss Hair has options for payment plans, which can also be talked about during a consultation.
There are more ways to treat hair loss
Aside from the treatments we’ve already talked about, there are a few other things you can do to stop hair loss or make hair grow.
- Change Your Diet: Eating well is good for your health in general, but it can also affect your hair. Make sure that your diet has a lot of protein, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Reduce stress: As we’ve already said, stress is a major cause of hair loss. If you are stressed out, look for ways to relax and calm down. This could involve things like yoga or meditation.
- Use supplements: There are a variety of supplements that can help your hair grow. Biotin saw palmetto, and ginseng are some of these.
It can be hard to deal with the causes of alopecia, but there are ways to treat it. Make sure to talk to a qualified doctor about your options and figure out the best way to treat yourself. Visit Bergen County Hair Loss Hair if you are worried about hair loss or have questions about the different ways to treat it.
We are experts at restoring hair, and we offer both surgical and non-surgical treatments. You can also talk to us for free if you want to.
If you don’t want or need surgery or non-surgical treatments right now, medical wigs are another option that some people may find helpful. They might be a good choice for people with alopecia or male pattern baldness. Here, you can find out more about wigs for people with alopecia who need medical help.
Fix your hair loss right away
If you or someone you care about has alopecia or any other kind of hair loss, know that you have many options. Even though it might seem embarrassing, a lot more people lose their hair than you might think.
It is very common, and while it can make you feel bad about yourself, Bergen County Hair Loss Hair is proud to offer all possible options to patients based on how their hair loss has affected them.
Don’t wait to do something about hair loss. There are treatments that can help get your hair back to normal. Bergen County Hair Loss Hair is an expert in both surgical and non-surgical hair restoration, and we can help you find the best treatment plan for you. Contact us today to set up a free meeting.